Built to be fast out of the box, it is still possible to speed up Windows 7. In this article, we’ll go through a few tips to squeeze every bit of speed out of Windows 7.
1. If you’re not too interested in eye-candy, you may want to consider disabling the Aero theme. While it gives Windows 7 a modern and spiffy look, it is also very hungry on the system resources. If you want to disable Aero, right-click on the Desktop, click “Personalize” and then select the “Window Color” tab. Then uncheck “Enable Transparency” and then click on “Open classic appearance properties for more color options”. You can then choose the Standard Windows 7 theme, or another basic theme instead of Aero. You should notice an increase in performance after that, especially if your computer isn’t very powerful.
2. Reduce the number of visual effects. By disabling some of the visual effects, you can squeeze a bit more speed out of Windows 7. Begin by doing a right-click on “Computer”, then select “Properties”. You will see “Advanced System Settings”. Click on it and the you will see the “System Properties” window. Under the “Advanced” tab, go to “Performance” and then “Settings”. Click “Custom” and you can unselect all the options that you don’t want. After that, click “OK” and restart your computer.
3. Disable the Windows 7 sidebar. Right-click the sidebar and click on “Properties”. Uncheck the box that says “Start sidebar when Windows Starts”.
4. Remove startup items and help Windows start faster. From the Start menu, key in “msconfig” in the “Run” option and the System Configuration Utility will open. Go to the “Startup” tab and unselect the items there that you don’t need.
5. Optimize your Windows registry. The Windows registry is the heart of the operating system. By optimizing it and removing errors from it, the operating system will run better and faster. Use a good registry cleaner software to automatically scan the registry and optimize it.