This article will tells you how to configure a new Windows Server 2003 Domain Name Services (DNS) server in an existing DNS server environment.
You have to install the Windows Server 2003 on a server which is attached to your network, for creating a new Windows Server 2003 DNS Server. During the installation of Windows Server 2003, DNS service will not install. For the installation of DNS service, perform the following steps:
- Click on the Start, point to Settings and then click on the Control Panel.
- Then you have to double-click on the Add or Remove Programs and then click on Add/Remove Windows Components.
- After this, in the Windows Component Wizard, click on the Networking Services in the Components list and then click on the Details.
- In Networking Services, click to pick out the Domain Name System (DNS) check box if it is not already selected and then click on OK.
- In the Windows Components Wizard, click on Next.
- If you are prompted to insert the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM into the computer’s CD-ROM drive, then perform it.
- Then setup copies the DNS server and the tool files to your computer.
- When the installation is complete, click on Finish.
You can integrate a Windows Server 2003 DNS server directly into the DNS zone, in case DNS Servers cannot be upgraded. For performing this, you have to delegate certain zones to the Windows Server 2003 DNS server. Follow these steps to perform this:
- Click on Start, point to Programs, click on the Administrative Tools and then click on DNS.
- Then click on the DNS Server object for your server and then expand the server object to expand the tree.
- After this, right-click on the server object and then click on Configure a DNS Server to start the Configure a DNS Server Wizard.
- Click on Next. Then click on Create a forward lookup zone and after that click on Next. Click on An ISP maintains the zone and a read-only secondary copy resides on this server.
- In the Zone Name dialog box, type the name of the zone.
- In the Master DNS Servers dialog box, type the IP address of a known DNS server.
- Then click on the Next. Click No, it should not forward queries and then click Next.
- After performing all these steps, click on Finish to save the new configuration and to configure the DNS server.
Here you have configured DNS Server on existing DNS Infrastructure. In the above procedure for windows server 2003 support.